Sunday, March 10, 2013

Review: Geek Girl by Cindy C. Bennett



Geek GirlGeek Girl by Cindy C. Bennett
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Goodreads summary:

"Think I can turn that boy bad?" 17-year-old Jen turns her life upside down when, out of boredom, she makes a bet that she can turn school geek Trevor into someone like her. Instead, the goth girl finds herself sucked into his world of sci-fi movies, charity work, and even-ugh!-bowling. To truly belong with him-and with her new foster family-she must first come to terms with her violent past.

My review:

Have you ever picked up a book on Sunday morning, intending to read a few chapters, get an idea of the story while you finish your coffee....then look up, realize it's noon already, and you've read the whole thing?

It's not the first time it's happened to me, but this was the first one that had me crying over my coffee. And not at the parts one would think.

I'll grant that the story follows the usual pattern - the bet, the slow fall into unintended areas, the discovery, the aftermath - but Jen's voice is so refreshing, it all feels new again. I also liked the new spin - taking the geek and not making him popular, but making him bad.

And the reason, when Jen finally revealed it to herself, and to us, broke my heart.

I think what I loved most about this book was that it wasn't just a girl-meets-boy love story. There were other love stories intertwined - family, friends, beautiful secondary characters. And the moments that made me tear up were the ones from these secondary relationships.

I don't have any words for Trevor because he was, in a word, beautiful. He was also flawed in his own way, but not afraid to speak up when things just didn't make sense. Then there's the way my heart sped up every time this happened:







I have a feeling I could gush for hours on hours about the story but since I'd have to skate over the spoiler line, I won't. If the story of a young girl coming into herself, and to terms with a past she had no control over, appeals to you, this one's worth checking out.

1 comments:

Gabs @ My Full Bookshelf said...

New follower! This book sounds really good, thanks for the review! :)

Post a Comment