Monday, November 26, 2012

Review: The Edge of Never by JA Redmerski

The Edge of NeverThe Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Going to round up on this one because it falls more at 3.75 than a full four stars.

I fell right into the book headfirst. In fact, the first 50% of it flew by as I got to know Camryn and Andrew. The POV shift didn't bother me at all, especially since it wasn't ever a rehashing of what we'd just seen through Camryn's eyes, but Andrew taking over from the moment of the switch onward.

My worries that it would turn into a sexcapade once the sex line had been crossed were for naught, but started headshaking a little. For all Camryn's confessions that she liked it rough, and to be forced...that only ever happened in the book once. Before she told him that that was what she liked. The only other time he backed her into a corner, metaphorically, it had nothing to do with sex at all. Maybe I need to go back and re-read, but I don't remember a whole lot of headboard-rattling rough stuff going on. Camryn didn't seem to mind...so I guess I shouldn't either. It just seemed a little inconsistent.

One thing I did love - Andrew was a guy. A real one. His thoughts, what he said, the way he said it, all rang true. It's semi-rare to find this, especially in young adult novels, and it's refreshing as hell when I do stumble onto one of them.

There is a twist at the end that seriously had me guessing and was expertly handled throughout the book as so vague that I didn't have a clue until right before the bomb dropped, but still hinted at enough that it didn't come out of left field.

Overall, it was an enjoyable read if not overly burdened with an overarching plot. It's the story of two people in their early twenties meeting and travelling the road not taken and handling the curves thrown at them during the trip.

View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment