Friday, November 30, 2012

Review: What a Boy Wants by Nyrea Dawn

What A Boy Wants (What A Boy Wants, #1)What A Boy Wants by Nyrae Dawn
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

One of these days I'll get back to some paranormal stuff but this is not that day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either.

What can I say about this story? Not a lot if you want me coherent. The short form: Loved it. Lots.

Sebastian was a cocky, arrogant know-it-all of a guy. I knew a few of them when I was in high school and I think everyone can say the same. The best part of this book, though, is not only that it's told entirely through his PoV, it's told effectively. He's not the "what a girl thinks a guy is" but a real guy. I could hear his thoughts, even his words, in my son's voice. Or those of his friends.

He wasn't perfect, he made stupid mistakes, seriously stupid mistakes that made me want to yell at him through the page. The awesome factor of this story is that even though he was stupid, I loved him anyway. Loved him in spite of it. Watching him come to terms with who he is, the reality that he not only didn't know it all...that he really knew nothing at all? Made for an incredible journey that I will most likely read again. And again.

It's a love story, yes, but it's also a young man's journey of finding himself as he loses everything that matters.

This review started as four stars, but the more I wrote, the more I knew I was off by one.


View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment