Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Audiobook review: Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry




I don't think the importance of the story's reader can ever be overstated. There are a few books out there that I've read a dozen times in book form...but I've deleted their audiobooks right out of my Audible account so I never have to suffer hearing the voice/portrayal again, even by accident.

Then there are some readers that will take a book I love and by the end, I love it more than I did after reading it.

Pushing the Limits is one of the latter.

Tara Sands does the voice for Echo, and in a move that only made the audiobook that much more haunting, she shares reading duties with MacLeod Andrews who voices Noah.

Tara's got a brilliant sense of Echo, her father, and I about die when she does Ashley's PerkyBarbie voice. The one that haunted me most was when Tara voiced Echo's mother...both during the flashbacks and in person. Just the right quality of selfish and flighty, depending on which scene she was reading. Most importantly, she had Echo's inflections, and her sarcasm, perfectly. I had no trouble when she was reading dialogue and when she was reading Echo's asides.

MacLeod. I don't know that there are enough adjectives for how much I loved his voice, and his portrayal of Noah. He made me laugh, he raised goosebumps, and during one memorable scene, made me have to pull into a parking lot to cry because his voice was breaking just like Noah's was in the story. From anger, sorrow, desire, pure boy moments, his tenderness for Echo and his amazement that there are also people not out to take from him.

Well worth the listen if you're an audiobook fan. It's not often I find ones that are so well done that I know I'll listen not just again, but often.

0 comments:

Post a Comment