Saturday, January 5, 2013

Review: Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen

Along for the RideAlong for the Ride by Sarah Dessen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Goodreads summary:


It’s been so long since Auden slept at night. Ever since her parents’ divorce—or since the fighting started. Now she has the chance to spend a carefree summer with her dad and his new family in the charming beach town where they live.

A job in a clothes boutique introduces Auden to the world of girls: their talk, their friendship, their crushes. She missed out on all that, too busy being the perfect daughter to her demanding mother. Then she meets Eli, an intriguing loner and a fellow insomniac who becomes her guide to the nocturnal world of the town. Together they embark on parallel quests: for Auden, to experience the carefree teenage life she’s been denied; for Eli, to come to terms with the guilt he feels for the death of a friend.


My review:


Now on my second Dessen book and I'm sensing a pattern. My next Dessen book download came from the library while I was reading this one and I'm holding off on that revelation until I have a third to make the final determination.

Onto the review for this one.

I have to say I liked Auden more than McLean. She still had her issues, but in my opinion, she handled hers a little better. Or, maybe more realistically. I also liked that we got to know Eli a little better than we did Dave - there was more time together for the couple, more bonding, and perfect first kiss.

I also loved the secondary characters. Especially Maggie and Heidi. And Adam. Oh, how I loved Adam. I would have had a serious crush on him in high school.

I think what I liked most about the story was the theme of second chances, and the way she wove it through the whole story. Auden's second chance with a happy childhood. Her mother's, her father's. Adam's. Even Eli's. Not all of them were spelled out, but when I thought back over the story as a whole, I found them. Beautifully done.

And, final word...the food fight. Perfectly timed, beautifully executed, and just amazing.

2 comments:

Krafty Beginnings said...

Great review, I will have to check this author out, haven't read any of hers. Thanks for sharing.

Katie ~ Turner’s Antics

Unknown said...

Thanks! And thanks for stopping by :)

Post a Comment